Look on the Bright Side: How to get a Whiter Smile
Professional Teeth Whitening vs. At Home Methods
At-Home Whitening Kits
Over the years, at-home whitening kits have evolved into a simple, budget-friendly and effective way to get a brighter smile.
- It’s cheaper. Getting custom-built whitening trays or bleaching treatments at the dentist can cost hundreds (or thousands!) of dollars. Most at-home whitening kits are much more affordable.
- It’s faster! If you visit your dentist to get a custom-built whitening tray or to get your teeth whitened in the office, you may have to factor in several other scheduling conflicts.
- It’s all in your hands. There’s no need to schedule an appointment with your dentist to make whitening arrangements. Whiten whenever you like.
- It’s riskier. Doing your own whitening treatments can put you at risk for developing tooth sensitivity, gum sensitivity or any other number of issues.
- It’s not as effective. No matter how good your at-home kit is, nothing beats the professional-level results that you’ll get from an experienced dentist.
- It might actually stain your teeth. The phrase “too much of a good thing” definitely applies here. It may be tempting to overdo it with your at-home whitening efforts (something that would never happen at a dentist).
Visiting the dentist for professional whitening treatments continues to be a popular cosmetic enhancement that many people pursue.
- It leads to noticeably whiter teeth. It’s simple: If you want professional results, visit a professional.
- It’s safer—and hassle-free. Whether you’re getting in-office whitening treatments or receiving custom-fit trays from your dentist, there’s less work involved on your end.
- It can double as an oral health checkup. Every time you visit your dentist, he/she takes a thorough look inside your mouth to scope out any potential issues. It’s always good to be proactive!
- It’s significantly more expensive. Unlike the at-home whitening kits, professional kits will cost more than the average drugstore prices.
- It’s time-consuming. Another day, another appointment. With a busy schedule, it may be difficult to get in to see a dentist for professional-level treatment.
- It’s not always permanent. Neither at-home kit or professional whitening treatment results last forever. But when you’re spending more, the sting might be greater when the shine fades.
No matter which route you choose, you’re on your way to a whiter, brighter smile that’s bound to make you stand out. Say cheese!